1. Other than the instrument you play, what’s your favorite instrument to listen to?
Well it’s funny, because these days I don’t listen to many recordings of B3 Organ players. Not because there aren’t great recordings out there, or I don’t love them, it’s more because I am trying to adapt the techniques or inflections of other instruments into my concept of Jazz Organ. For example the way a saxophone, trumpet or even piano (which, conceptually is VERY different than organ) would approach improvisation differently than an organist might. So by constantly listening to different approaches and instruments, I am learning different ideas. The short answer to your question would be saxophone.
2. If you were about to have your last meal, what would it be? Wow, what a question… I think since I of course love Italian food, it would have to be my mother’s lasagna.
3. How old were you when you first played in front of an audience (beyond your family)–and do you remember what you played ?
I was either 9 or 10. I played an anniversary party with my Farfisa organ and an old electronic drum machine. I come from a family of musicians, so I was exposed to a lot of dance band/club date music at a very young age. I don’t remember the exact songs, but I do remember them being of the old standards/big band vein.
4. What’s your favorite city?
That is a difficult question for sure because since I travel so much, I have been to some pretty incredible places. In the United States it would probably be Chicago, outside the US it would be a tossup between Amalfi, Italy, Copenhagen and The Grand Canary Islands.
5. What’s your favorite non-jazz tune?
That is another tough one, there is so much great music out there. But for the moment “What Is Hip” – Tower of Power
6. What’s your favorite non-musical pastime?
I have always enjoyed working on electronics. Building and repairing tube based amplifiers and also working on Hammond Organs. Over the years I have put together quite a few custom digital organs, speakers, etc..All which I have used on gigs at one time or another.
7.What instrument would you like to be able to play?
Drums. My father was a drummer, some of my closest friends are drummers. Playing the organ is like playing drums, so I guess it would be the next logical step.